HONOLULU—The Charter School Governance, Accountability, and Authority Task Force will be holding its second meeting on Wednesday, August 10 at 10:00 a.m. in conference room 225, at the State Capitol.
The Task Force is co-chaired by Senate Education Committee Chair Jill Tokuda and House Education Committee Vice-Chair Della Au Belatti.
Representatives from the Legislature, Governor’s Office, Board of Education, Department of Education, Charter School Administrative Office, Charter School Review Panel, Charter School Network, Ho‘okako‘o Corporation, and Kamehameha Schools are expected to participate on the task force as set forth in Senate Bill 1174 (Act 130).
Act 130 establishes the Task Force to seek accountability among stakeholders of the charter school system. Among the objectives of the Task Force are to develop legislation or administrative rules on the governance structure of charter schools, identify oversight and monitoring responsibilities of the charter school review panel, and discuss funding related issues.
August 10 is the second of five meetings scheduled for Task Force.
The schedule for the remaining meetings are as follows:
* August 31, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. in the State Capitol room 225
* September 21, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. in the State Capitol room 211
* October 12, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. in the State Capitol room 225
A report by the Task Force is due to the Legislature 20 days before 2012 session.
On Oahu, the meeting may viewed on Oceanic channel 49.
Neighbor Island channel information:
· Kauai: Ho’ike Community Television (www.hoike.org), phone (808) 246-1556 (no web-streaming).
· Maui: Akaku—Maui Community Television (www.akaku.org), phone (808) 871-5554 (web-streaming available).
· Hawaii Island: Na Leo O Hawaii (www.naleo.tv), phone (808) 935-8874 (Hilo) or (808) 329-9617 (Kailua-Kona) (web-streaming available).